This week we wanted something a little different for breakfast, and staring at the almond milk in the fridge, I remembered that everyone loved the Blue Sunset smoothie from Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow. We were heading off to our homeschool coop for a day filled with interesting people and classes, so we needed something quick but filling, and Blue Sunset did the trick.
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 small ripe banana, or 1 cup frozen banana
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 1/2 cup Brazil nut milk
- 3 Tbs agave
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- In a blender, puree all ingredients except blueberries until smooth.
- Pour out about half of the mixture into serving glasses, filling each glass halfway. Add the blueberries to the remaining shake in the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Gently pour the remaining blueberry shake over pineapple mango shake. Note Pouring the mixture over the back of a spoon (a bartender’s technique) helps keep the two layers separate).
Since the nut milk was sweetened with honey and this recipe is chock full of sweet fruits, we didn’t add any sweeteners or dates. And I simplified the recipe based on what we had on hand, and what I had time for. So here’s my rush-out-the-door-don’t-have-all-ingredients version that was absolutely delicious! We poured them into Mason jars so that we could drink them in the car on the way.
- 3/4 pineapple, chunked
- 1 banana, broken into a few pieces
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
Blend milk, pineapple, banana and ground flax. Pour half this mixture evenly into serving cups. Pour blueberries into blender with remaining mixture and blend. Pour this on top of the first half and serve (definitely a skill I’m acquiring, but it tastes good even if it pours into the center). YUM!