Sometimes I menu plan and find that life has interrupted and things don’t get made according to the plan. Adding insult to injury, ingredients get used in different recipies, leaving a random collection of their brethren behind. Part of me really enjoys the challenge this presents. And this salad is one of the successes born under those circumstances.
This salad is filling enough to serve as a light meal.
Grapefruit Avocado Fennel Salad
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup loosely packed fennel
- 2 Tbs hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Trocomare or sea salt
- Wash and tear romaine into bite-size pieces. Roll in a towel to dry.
- Cut grapefruit into wedges or pieces, removing that interior “skin”.
- Thinly slice or shave fennel, cut avocado into slices or chunks.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a salad bowl to combine. Add romaine, toss to coat. Arrange fennel, grapefruit and avocado on top and sprinkle hemp seeds to finish.
I wasn’t sure if I would like the grapefruit-fennel combination, but I’ve come across that combo in a few recipes and decided to try it. I added the avocado after taste testing and finding I wanted something richer and creamier than the salad was without it. Glad I did — it worked really well and hit the spot for adults and kids alike.
Another delicious way to eat your rainbow!